Friday, January 8, 2010

Growing up

Growing up as a child has its expectations, excitements and gloom. The mind needs to be nurtured and it is at this stage that the mind can absorb lots of things. That is why, when a parent(s) realises that there is a child who exhibits special talent, it is nurtured from then and have it grow as the child grows for consistency and endurance of having the child fully unleash the potential within.


The innocence in children is so honest it hurts! I know many parents can attest to this that, at times it takes a lie to tell the truth, yeah? But no matter what, so long as the child knows the truth, there is no way in hell/heaven you are going to convince the little brat otherwise! No amount of daring glances or threats will deter the child. And anyone who is within the discussion/lie or just walked in on it, will just have to take a glance at everyone but only the child's emotions will be your sell-out. But the crookedly smart children, who happen to inherit the genes from their parents, will never tell a soul, till kingdom come! The amazing thing though is that, the sense of unhappiness is so much easier to convey than that of happiness.


When unhappy, the pain and hurt that the child expresses is of hurt and betrayal. I remember some time back, when my second-born daughter, who was six-years-old then, had her facial expression suddenly change after welcoming us (the dad and I) in the house on evening. She went straight on to the matters at hand and addressed the dad.


"Daddy, unajua leo shule..., ule Simon kwa class... alikua ananiangalia alafu anani-smiliaaa..." ("Daddy, you know today at school..., that Simon in my class... kept looking at me and smiiiiling back at me...") with disgust written all over her face! I took a glance at the dad to see his reaction to that. Frankly... he was blank! But you could see a frown in sync with his daughter's. As in trying to feel her, to empathise with her. As for me... I laughed my heart out and whispered, 'I think we have a boy who is smitten'!


But happiness. Happiness annihilates us as human beings. It gives us a sense of satisfaction and peace that is indescribable! It comes with a sense of calmness. By just taking a glance at a happy person, especially a child, the emotions written all over the face tells it all. Need I say more...







No comments:

Post a Comment